Friday, September 14, 2007

You can't stop the beat! - Hairspray Reviews

To start off: I was really scared about this movie a year ago when I heard they cast John Travolta. I love John Travolta but I felt that he wasn't right for the role. To my suprise, he was great! Yeah, there probably was a better choice, but who doen't enjoy seeing John Travolta dressed up as a woman? This movie was a great experience. After seeing RENT and The Producers, this was definatley refreshing. I hope it brings back movie musicals. Story: I've always loved Hairspray. I don't think people should be comparing this movie to the original. They should be comparing it to the Broadway show. They are different. John Water's film was much more dark while the Broadway show was much brighter and more cheerful. Both are great in their own ways. My only regrets about the story was that I wish that they kept "The Big Dollhouse" and "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now." Acting: The acting was great. Nikki Blonsky was marvelous. I actually like her better in some of the songs than I did the original Tracy. Zac Effron was great... and I thought I was going to hate him after High School Musical. Christopher Walken is great in everything he does. I didn't know he could sing until now. Amanda Bynes should of turned up her voice a bit, but I recently figured out that the producers told her that Penny was "just finding her voice." Michelle Pfieffer was awesome and beautiful as always. I thought Queen Latifah wouldn't be powerful enough but she was great along with John Travolta. Wjoever played Seaweed has an amazing singing voice. Same with Amber... she was alittle underused though. Direction: The only thing that bothered me was the part that they blurred the school bell into another scene. I guess it just made me dizzy. Visuals: Costumes and dancing count as visuals, right? Well, if not... whatever. They were both great (I really need to find another word for great...) Overall: Awesome! I will definately be buying this when it comes out on DVD. Sorry this review was so long. I hope it was helpful. ;)

No comments: